When I made this lasagna recipe earlier this week, I informed my mother that one can use cottage cheese as a low-fat alternative to ricotta cheese in lasagna.
I then informed my mother that although I like cottage cheese very much, I wouldn’t be using it in the lasagna this time around, as I hadn’t tasted ricotta cheese in over three years.
So I used pure, unadulterated ricotta cheese.
And mozzarella cheese.
And Parmesan cheese.
And in the words of the book of Genesis, it was good.
First make a batch of marinara sauce, or you can use your favorite marinara/pizza sauce. In a large bowl, add 3 cups of ricotta cheese (that’s almost all of one 32 oz. container), 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp. dried parsley, 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg, and one egg, and mix everything up.
In a large skillet, brown 1 lb. of ground turkey (or beef) or turkey sausage (or Italian sausage if you want to go all out) until browned and crumbly. Drain any fat, and then combine with your marinara sauce.
Meanwhile, boil your lasagna noodles according to the package instructions, drain, and set aside (you don’t want to do this too early before the lasagna assembly or they’ll start sticking together).
Spread a layer of the marinara meat sauce on top of the cheese (not pictured), and then spread another layer of noodles on top of that. Repeat with the ricotta mixture, mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, one more layer of noodles, the last of the marinara sauce, and then top everything with some mozzarella cheese.
(serves 6 – 7)
- One batch marinara sauce or your favorite jar of pasta/pizza sauce
- 3 c. ricotta cheese (almost all of one, 32 oz., container)
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 lb. ground meat or sausage (turkey or Italian)
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 3 – 4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, dried parsley, nutmeg, and the egg. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground meat until browned and crumbly. Drain off any fat and combine with marinara sauce.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- Grease a large, 9 x 13 inch casserole dish. Lay one layer of lasagna noodles in bottom of dish. Spread half of the ricotta mixture in a layer on top of the noodles. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese on top of that. Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce on top of the cheese.
- Lay down another layer of noodles, and repeat with the remaining half of the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese, 1/3 of the meat sauce, another layer of noodles, the last of the meat sauce, and top it all off with the last of the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.